School Support Services


Welcome to Fort Carson! We are the School Liaison Office and we specialize in education transitions, and make sure incoming and exiting Families have information about local schools, graduation requirements, after-school programs, youth sponsorship, and home schooling that are part of living in Colorado.

Colorado's Open Enrollment

Colorado is unique because it is an Open Enrollment state. The Public Schools of Choice law (C.R.S. 22-36-101) allows resident pupils to enroll at schools in Colorado districts for which they are not zoned. Also referred to as Open Enrollment.

Your School Choices

  1. Attend the public school zoned for my neighborhood
  2. Attend a public school out of my zone/district utilizing Open Enrollment
  3. Attend a public charter school
  4. Homeschool
  5. Attend a private school

Important Reminders

  1. Colorado Springs is in El Paso County.
  2. Fort Carson has 4 Elementary Schools and 1 Middle School on post, however, these are not DOD (Department of Defense) schools. They are part of Fountain-Fort Carson School District 8.
  3. The first four school choices listed above do not cost any additional tuition.
  4. If you choose #2 or #3, you must apply for acceptance and there are enrollment windows.
  5. If you choose #2 or #3, you are responsible for transporting your child(ren) to and from school. Please note that Cheyenne Mountain School District 12 in Colorado Springs provides NO transportation.

How to Decide

  1. We recommend you use the links here to study your choices and learn more about them.
  2. Feel free to call and speak with someone from any of the schools you may be interested in.
  3. Ask friends and neighbors about their school experiences.
  4. Consider how you will get your child to/from school if you choose to attend a school out of your school district.
  5. Our office is ready to answer your questions, offer support and resources, and connect you with schools you may want to learn more about.

School Liaison Office Back to School Newsletter (PDF)

Teen Workshops

Resilience Skills for Teens Workshops are held on the last Thursday of the month, from 4 p.m.-5:15 p.m. at 5950 Ware Street, Bldg. 5950 (the Youth Center). *No workshop will be held on March 29, 2018 due to Spring Break.*

Additionally, there are resources for both parents and teens through the Military Child Education Coalition at

Fort Carson Area School Districts:

Fort Carson is located in Fountain-Fort Carson School District 8.

School District Website Distance to Fort Carson (mi) Choice Enrollment Window/Deadline for School Year 2018-2019 Additional Information
Fountain-Fort Carson School District 8 0

Mar 21 - Oct 1

Renew Choice Application annually.
Harrison School District 2 7 Mar 29  
Widefield School District 3 8 May 4  
Cheyenne Mountain School District 12 11

Lottery Deadline

Apr 30

Does not provide transportation.
Colorado Springs School District 11 11 Nov 15 - Apr 15  
Academy School District 20 20 Jan  
Falcon School District 49 23 Open Year Round  

School District Map.jpg


School Liaison Office Hours / Contact Info

Hours of Operation

Monday 8 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Tuesday 8 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Wednesday 8 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Thursday 8 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Friday 8 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Saturday Closed
Sunday Closed
Federal Holidays Closed


1590 Prussman Blvd.
Bldg. 1518
Google Map

WiFi Available

Handicap Accessible

Write an ICE comment


Phone Number(s):
School Liaison Officers +1(719)526-6470, +1(719)526-3362

For immediate assistance please contact the School Liaison Officer on duty at +1(719)526-1101.

For contact during or after hours, please email: [email protected]

How School Liaison Officers Can Help

Who We Are:

  • School Support Services (SSS) provides Army Families and school-aged youth with educational opportunities, resources and information necessary to achieve academic success. A branch of Child and Youth Services (CYS), SSS is home to the School Liaison Office, where School Liaison Officers (SLOs) help deliver the best educational resources and information for your children. 

How We Can Help:

  • Build relationships and facilitate communication among Army Families and the local school community 
  • Inform and assist parents with school transitions and deployment challenges
  • Establish school and community partnerships
  • Facilitate access to home school resources for parents
  • Provide information about college and other post-secondary opportunities and preparation materials
  • Inform and assist parents on youth education and school issues
Other Area School Districts

Other Area School Districts:

Fort Carson is located in Fountain-Fort Carson School District 8.

School District Website Distance to Fort Carson (mi) Choice Enrollment Window/Deadline for School Year 2018-2019
Manitou Springs School District 14 18  
Ellicott School District 22 28  
Lewis-Palmer School District 38 29

Jan 2 - Feb 16

Appeals may be submitted year round.

Peyton School District 23JT 33 Oct 1
City of Pueblo School District 60 35 Jan
Calhan School District RJ-1 40 Jan - Feb
Woodland Park School District RE-2 40  
Pueblo County School District 70 41  
Elbert School District 200 46  
Miami Yoder School District 60JT 46  
Edison School District 54JT 51  
Cripple Creek/Victor School District RE-1 53  
Big Sandy School District 100J 53  
Kiowa School Distric C-2 66  


Other Public School District information:

Charter School

To find a Charter School in your area, visit the Colorado League of Charter Schools webpage. Fort Carson is located in El Paso County.

Charter Schools are tuition-free public schools that have the flexibility to be innovative, self-governing and yet are held accountable for student and operational performance. Charter schools vary in focus. They may emphasize the arts, foreign languages, advanced learning, the classics, etc.

Home School

Home Schooling has become mainstream and widely-used. We offer resources and information to help you provide quality home-based education.

In order to homeschool, you must fill out an Intent to Homeschool Form from the school district you live in. CYS offers a parent-led group on Wednesdays. Children must be registered with CYS in order to use the Homeschool Group. There is no cost. Contact the Fort Carson CYS SLO office at +1(719)526-1101 for more information.

Home School Legal Defense Association provides information on home school law, and general support and information about homeschooling.

Colorado Department of Education provides a directory of Home School resources.

Private School

To find a Private School in you area, visit the School Choice for Kids webpage.

Youth Sponsorship

Sponsors for your middle school or high school teens are available either through the youth program or school. 

Army Youth Sponsorship Program

The Youth Sponsorship Club can help your teen learn about their new community and make new friends. Getting involved quickly helps children and teens fit in and feel less stress associated with their PCS move. All it takes to join the club is a visit to the school age or youth center or contact the School Liaison Officer.

Youth Sponsorship Registration

Contact your School Liaison Officer (SLO) to request a sponsor.  You can download and use the Youth Sponsorship Request form below to help your SLO pair your child with a compatible sponsor.


youthsponosr pic.jpg

Special Education Information

If you have a child with special needs, we can help you find information about the resources available in your school district. We can also help you connect with your local installation’s Exceptional Family Member Program (EFMP) office. The EFMP is a mandatory enrollment program that works with other military and civilian agencies to provide comprehensive, coordinated, community support in areas such as housing, medical, educational and personal services to Families with special needs.


The SLO office can provide general guidance on special needs information and options. All specific questions will be referred to the Exceptional Families Member Program (EFMP). Please contact us at +1(719)526-1101.

References and Resources for Special Education

Highly mobile children are entitled to an expedited process, including: a). evaluations in 30 days instead of 60 days, b) removed delays due to school district schedules for families moving during incomplete screenings, c) continued Extended School Year for students moving in the summer.

The Center for Parent Information and Resources offers education, acronyms, tools, webinars and a directory of local Parent and Information Training Centers to help parents advocate for their children. The center focuses on proactive support and personal accountability. 

Military OneSource has a range of resources to help with caring for a family member with special needs including education, health care, legal, financial points of contact, EFMP, School Liaisons, etc.

Military Community & Family Policy Office of Special Needs provides a directory of age-specific resources and States-at-a-Glance for localized special education resources and information.

Free Army sponsored online training for educators and parents on a host of special education topics at

DirectSTEP course listing 

DirectSTEP registration


Transition Support

We understand that military transitions for children include much more than school plans and enrollment. We have a number of resources to help make your move as easy as possible for the kids, including:

Military Kids Connect provides online age-appropriate resources to help parents, teachers and children cope with the unique challenges of military life.

The Interstate Compact on Educational Opportunity for Military Children (MIC3) addresses key transition issues military Families experience, including enrollment, placement, attendance, eligibility and graduation. All fifty states have signed the compact and are in varying stages of implementation and/or compliance. The compact applies to children of Active Duty service members, National Guard and Reserve members on active duty orders and members or veterans who are medically discharged or retired within past year. Read more. 

School Transition Information: School Liaison Officers are located on each installation to assist military Families with school transition and other education-related issues.  Go to Army OneSource for more information.

Military Youth on the Move the Department of Defense designed Military Youth on the Move as one-stop shop for parents and students with moves and deployment.

Academic and Behavioral Support

We can help you find information and resources for academic and behavioral support, including: for U.S. Military Families makes live tutors available online 24/7 to help with more than forty core subjects and standardized test preparation.  

Homework Support: Army Child & Youth Services provides homework labs in before/after school programs for elementary students at the School Age Center, and for middle and high school students at the Youth Center. 

Support/Resilience Programs:  School Support Services include information about other programs you can use for support and resilience-related issues.

Military Family Life Counselors (MFLCs) are available to meet in-person on or off the military installation. The free non-medical sessions are anonymous and may occur in individual, couple, family or group settings. Child Behavioral Specialists are located on the installation in Child & Youth Services programs, and in highly-impacted schools located on and off the installation.

Military OneSource has access to free non-medical counseling that’s anonymous and available online, by phone or in person. Twelve free sessions may occur in individual, couple, family or group settings.

Real Warriors is a multimedia behavioral health support center with tips for helping children cope with deployments and reunions.

National Military Family Association produces MyMilitaryLife, a free iPhone and Android app that provides Families with credible information tailored to your needs. 

Army One Source

Fort Carson Post Secondary Support

Our SLO office can support your teenagers in finding great opportunities for college, scholarships and career options. Contact us today at +1(719)526-1101. If you have children preparing for academic life after high school, we can help you find information about testing opportunities, scholarships and military-specific resources that can help you plan.

Military-Specific and Government Academic Support information; G.I. Bill

Transferability of Educational Benefits

In-State Tuition Programs for Military: Service members on active duty for a period of more than thirty days and their dependents are eligible to receive in-state tuition at many public colleges and universities in the state where they reside or are permanently stationed. An enrolled dependent may pay in-state tuition as long as he or she remains continuously enrolled at the institution, even if the service member is reassigned outside of the state. Regulations outlined in the Higher Education Opportunity Act, 2008 (P.L 110 - 135) and the Higher Education Act of 1965 apply. For more information:

College and Career Readiness:

College and career readiness includes the content knowledge, skills and habits that students must have to be successful in post-secondary education. It also includes training that leads to a sustaining career. A student who is ready for college and career can qualify for and succeed in entry-level, credit-bearing college courses without needing remedial or developmental coursework.

Let us help you plan for your child’s college and career readiness:

College and Career Readiness

College and Career Readiness and Success 

Counselor Connection 

Frequently Asked Questions

What are Common Core State Standards and Assessments?

The Common Core State Standards (CCSS) focus on developing the critical-thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills that students need for entry-level careers, freshman college courses and workforce training programs. The standards detail what K-12 students should know at the end of each grade. Most states and the Department of Defense Education Activity (DoDEA) have adopted the standards in English Language Arts and mathematics. There are two assessments being developed to measure student success (Partnership for Assessment of Readiness for College and Careers and Smarter Balanced). The decision of which assessment to use is determined by individual state education agencies.  


What is a Unique Military Child Identifier? Numerous states have enacted a voluntary report-only self-identification of military children within their public school systems. This data collection would allow monitoring of critical elements such as academic progress and proficiency, special and advanced program participation, mobility and dropout rates. Requirements and methods of collection vary from state to state.


What are Department of Defense Education Activity (DoDEA) Schools?  DoDEA is a civilian agency of the Department of Defense that manages schools for military children (pre-kindergarten through K12) on a limited number of installations in the United States and worldwide. DoDEA operates the Domestic Dependent Elementary and Secondary Education Schools (DDESS) within the U.S. and the Department of Defense Dependents Schools (DoDDS) overseas. While DoDEA schools do not fall under federal education programs like No Child Left Behind (the Elementary and Secondary Education Act - ESEA) there is a formal agreement between the Department of Education and the Department of Defense that provides for cooperative arrangements. DoDEA schools use the Common Core State Standards and follow the accountability guidelines mandated for all public schools receiving ESEA funds.


Are the schools on Fort Carson DoD Schools?

No, they are part of Fountain-Fort Carson School District 8. To register, go to


If I choose to enroll out of district, will my child be automatically accepted?

No, each school district has a window of opportunity to apply for out of district enrollment. Some districts operate on a first-come, first-served system based on space available. Other school districts operate on a lottery system based on space available as well.


If I choose to enroll out of district, will my child have transportation to and from school?

Families that choose to have their child(ren) attend out of district do not qualify for transportation to and from school.


Do I have to pay tuition to enroll out of district or in a Charter school?

No, utilizing Open Enrollment or Charter schools are tuition-free.

What are the Preschool options in Colorado/Colorado Springs?
Public Option

Colorado offers a limited amount of public Preschool/Pre-K slots.  These are usually no cost programs offered through the school district you live in.  Please access your district’s website for enrollment and eligibility information. Open Enrollment is not available for public Preschool/Pre-K programs.  See below for more information on the Colorado Preschool Program.

Colorado Preschool Program Information
About CPP

The Colorado Preschool Program (CPP) is a state-funded early childhood education program administered by the Colorado Department of Education. CPP provides access to quality early childhood education for children who lack overall learning readiness

CPP is managed by local school districts. Each participating school district is given a predetermined number of half-day slots to serve eligible children. Children who are eligible for CPP attend high-quality early childhood programs. The programs may be located in school district settings, local child care centers, community preschools or Head Start programs.

If there is a concern that your Preschool aged child has a delay or is not meeting developmental milestones there is a program available for evaluations.  Please see below for more information on Child Find.

About Child Find

Child Find is part of Colorado's system for identifying children suspected of having a delay in development. If a young child is not meeting typical developmental milestones, or there is a concern about the child’s growth or learning, child find teams will evaluate how the child plays, learns, speaks, behaves and moves. The purpose of the evaluation is to determine if there is a significant delay or if there is a need for early intervention or special education services. Evaluations conducted by Child Find teams are at no cost to parents.  Services through Child Find are accessed through your school district of residence.  Please see link for each district’s POC.

Other Options

If your child does not qualify for a CPP slot, you can contact the following:

CPCD/Headstart: +1(719) 635-1536  (childcare referrals for ALL of Colorado)

Fort Carson Child, Youth and School (CYS) Services: +1(719) 526-1101




Child & Youth Services Facilities & Programs