Welcome Packet: Request a packet. Include your name, address, contact number, arrival date, and any other information you may be needing.
- Individual and Bulk
Individual Welcome Packet - Click here to order. Packet will be mailed to you; include your name, address, contact number, arrival date, and any other information you may be needing.
- Fort Carson & Colorado
Weather, It Tends to Change
While amazing, our weather can be erratic. During winter and spring, winter storms can suddenly occur. In our local area, we can get snow anywhere from mid October to late May. And depending on what part of Colorado you are in, road conditions can vary drastically. Mountain passes can easily close due to snow and ice or mudslides. South Colorado Springs may be sunny while North Colorado Springs may have snow and ice. Preparation is the key. Keep an emergency kit in your car. Download the CDOT mobile app (iOS & Android) for up-to-date road conditions. Many of the major roadways have live feed video cameras. Checking the roads before you travel can make all the difference.
Climate, It's Not What You Think
Although Colorado is known for its ski resorts, the Colorado Springs area where Fort Carson is located has a mild year-round climate. In January, the coldest month, temperatures average a high of 43 degrees Fahrenheit and a low of 23 with a mean of 33 degrees. The area averages 37 inches of snow annually. August, the warmest month, has an average high of 84 degrees and a low of 61 degrees with a mean of 73 degrees.
Altitude, Adjusting to It
Colorado Springs elevation is 6,035 feet. Acclimation to our area varies for every individual. If you are not a fan of drinking water, it is highly recommended you become one. The air is drier and your body will dehydrate much faster. Because of the elevation, newcomers may experience slight fatigue at first. New personnel are allowed 30 days to adjust to the altitude and to reach Fort Carson fitness standards.
- Hotel Reservations & Getting Here
Our on post hotel, Candlewood Suites, is located in Bldg. 7301. For reservations, call +1(719)526-4832. Nonavailibity statements are available.
Other local military hotel options include the Air Force Inn on Peterson Air Force Base (20 to 30 minute drive) and Rampart Lodge on United States Air Force Academy (30 to 40 minute drive). Visit the Housing/Moving webpage for other helpful information.
Driving: Located on the South side of Colorado Springs. Depending on what direction you are coming from on Interstate 25, you'll take either Exit 135 to South Academy Blvd. or Exit 132B onto Magrath Ave. which will take you directly to Gate 20.
Flying: Denver International Airport (DIA) is about 90 miles North from Colorado Springs; visit their USO to get refreshed. Locally, fly into the Colorado Springs Airport, you'll be about 10 miles from Fort Carson. Single Soldiers and BLC students not assigned to Fort Carson are authorized to use the Colorado Springs Kiosk, +1(719)622-7985, located in the airport to be shuttled to Fort Carson at no cost.
- Signing In and In-processing
Signing In: All Soldiers, colonel & below, sign in at the Replacement Center CQ, Bldg. 1456, located at 1783 Nelson Blvd., Fort Carson, Colorado, 80913. Ensure a copy of your DA31 & orders are with you. If reporting during duty hours, you must be in uniform. Soldiers are authorized to report in civilian clothes after 1500 & on weekends; must be clean shaven IAW AR 670-1. To ensure installation in-processing is quick, simple and convenient, all in-processing requirements are completed while the Soldier is at the Replacement Detachment.
Transportation to Replacement Detachment: Soldiers arriving to the Colorado Springs Airport are to use local transportation, such as ride shares or taxis. Soldiers will be reimbursed for local transportation costs on Day Zero once they meet with finance personnel. Receipts are not required for expenses under $75. Soldiers arriving to the Denver International Airport who need directions or assistance en route should call the Replacement Detachment CQ at +1(719)526-6961 or +(719)524-4475.
- Unaccompanied, SGT & below, are provided barracks, Bldg. 1367.
- Accompanied, SSG & above, make their own lodging arrangements. For reservations at the IHG Candlewood Suites, Bldg. 7222, call +1(719)374-9158.
- Unaccompanied (SGT and below) - Lodging will be provided at barracks building 1367.
- Accompanied Soldiers, SSG and above - Please make your own lodging arrangements.
In-processing Schedule: All personnel complete a three-day in-processing schedule; includes finance (as part of reception) and scheduled SRP and CIF dates, as well as orientation to Family and Soldier resources on the Mountain Post.
What to Bring: Fort Carson Soldiers need all CIF. Reporting documents include,
- 5 copies of all assignment orders and amendments
- 5 copies of DA Form 31 (leave form)
- Copies of profiles (P3 and above only)
- Medical record (If given to you by losing command)
- Dental record (If given to you by losing command)
- Please attempt to bring all copies on your own. We can assist with making copies if needed, by exception.
Compassionate Reassignment Requests: Report to MPD CAPS in the Mountain Post Soldier Center, Bldg. 1525, Rm 210.
Permissive TDY: If taking in conjunction with PCS leave & it is annotated on DA31 & approved by an O5 or higher, please sign in at the Replacement Detachment CQ desk. CQ NCO will modify the DA31 to reflect the 10 days PTDY; no longer completed at housing. When PTDY is complete, return to the Replacement Detachment CQ desk to start in-processing. Save the DA31, Finance will need it to complete travel requirements.
DA Civilians Reassigned to Fort Carson: Report on the the 1st day of employment to the Civilian Personnel Assistance Center (CPAC), Bldg. 1118, Rm 161. Located on 1626 Ellis St. Recommend contacting CPAC prior to arrival, +1(719)526-8341 or DSN 691-8341.
- Places to Eat on Post
Cross Streets: Sheridan Ave & Picket St
Located in Main PX Food Court.
Cross Streets: Sheridan Ave & Picket St
Located in Main PX Food Court.
Cross Streets: Chiles Ave & Flint St
Located in the AAFES Mini Mall.
Cross Streets: Ellis St & Ware St
In Choctaw Village.
Cross Streets: Magrath Ave & O'Connell Blvd
By the carwash.
Cross Streets: Chiles Ave & Prussman Blvd
Co-located with Firestone.
Cross Streets: Macgrath Ave & 35th St
Inside the gas station.
Cross Streets: Prussman Blvd & Specker Ave
Inside the Triplex.
Cross Streets: Sheridan Ave & Picket Str
Located in Main PX Food Court.
Cross Streets: Cochrane Cir & Harr Ave
Inside the hospital.
Cross Streets: Chiles Ave
Inside the Thunder Alley Bowling.
Baskin Robbins - Stand alone
Hunt Brother's Pizza - Wilderness Express
Ivy Warrior Restaurants (Formerly Dining Facilities)
- Evans Army Community Hospital (EACH) DFAC
- La Rochelle (SFG Area) - Bldg. 7481, near Devens Street and Jedburgh Drive
- James R. Wolf - Bldg. 1444, near Specker Avenue and Nelson Street
- Robert C. Stack - Bldg. 2330, near Titus Boulevard and Specker Avenue on Utah Beach Drive
- Warfighter - Bldg. 9439, near Wilderness and Warfighter Roads
Kentucky Fried Chicken (KFC) - Triplex
Korea Express - Mini Mall
Mulligan's Grill - Cheyenne Shadow's Golf Club
Outpost Food Truck (DFAC) - In front of the Mountain Post Soldier Center
Outpost Kiosk - Bldg. 2061
Pizza Hut - Stand alone
Subway - B Street Express, Mini Mall, and Wilderness Express
- Housing On & Off Post
On Fort Carson
Fort Carson Family Homes has single-family, duplex, and townhome floor plans from 2 to 5 bedrooms, in pet-friendly neighborhoods featuring playgrounds, athletic courts, recreational trails and community gardens.
Residents enjoy a secure and comfortable community environment with the convenience of on-site management and maintenance, curbside trash and recycling pick-up, lawn care services and a calendar full of exciting resident activities and events. Starting the process is easy, but if you have questions, call +1(719)579-1606 to speak with a leasing specialist.
More than 70% of the military population lives in the local communities. Numerous housing options are available. It's important to note, the cost of homes in the local areas have significantly increased within the last couple of years. We encourage you to take the time to research and sit down with our volunteer realtors from the Pikes Peak Association of Realtors (PPAR) who are onsite at the Fort Carson Housing Services Office (HSO), +1(719)526-2323.
- Black Forest
- Security-Widefield (Local city directly outside of Fort Carson)
Rentals can be found by visiting the DoD off post housing website, Homes.mil.
Be proactive. For local job market information, visit ACS Employment Readiness or call +1(719)526-0452. Military Spouses who have an active occupational license in good standing are able to receive a temporary occupational license with a validity period of three years, at no cost as part of Create Occupational Credential Portablity Program (HB20-1326).
Don't forget to ask about Spouse State Re-Licensing & Certification Reimbursement. Ask about the ACS Volunteer Program, it's a great way to add to your resume and network while you are on the search.
- Parents - Things to Know
Childcare: It is highly encouraged that you contact CYS Parent Central Services for information on local daycare options, to include military-operated and military-subsidized child care options. For details, visit Bldg. 1528 or call +(719)526-1101.
Financial assistance for childcare costs after a PCS move are available via Army Emergency Relief (AER). Approval is based on financial need.
Child & Youth Services (CYS): If you have kids, take advantage of available programs ranging from daycare to youth sports to online tutoring.
Events for 0 to 5 Years
Events for 6 Years to 12 Years
Events for 13 Years to 18 Years
Schools and Making the Best Choice
- Army Community Service
Say "Hello" to the Moms, Dads and Kiddos participating in our Nurturing Parenting Programs.
Participating at the War Dog Memorial Run!
ACS staff celebrates World Autism Awareness Day! Fort Carson annually participates in LIUB by turning the lights at the Main Gate and Nelson Blvd Roundabout to blue.
Participating at the annual Fort Carson Color Fest.
Congratulations to Mateusz Makowski (Poland), Josue Remy (Haiti) and Roodyana Augustin (Haiti) who became citizens of the United States of American. ACS partners with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) Denver Office to assist Soldiers and Families. Naturalization ceremonies are held on a monthly basis at ACS.
Check out these lucky babies and Rocking Grannies at the ACS Nurturing Center!
Regardless of what stage of life you and your family are in, Army Community Service has services and programs to make your Army life more successful. If you are new to the Fort Carson Colorado area, make sure to stop in and pick up a welcome packet, get maps and directions about the local area and meet our professional staff. ACS offers monthly classes on parenting, finances, relationships, volunteerism, exceptional family members, and much, much more.
ACS offers many different classes on a variety of subjects, all designed to improve the quality of your life.
The Education Center, located in Bldg. 1012, room 138, has numerous opportunities for higher learning. To download their updated service changes as of 1 July 2020, click here. For details call +1(719)526-2124. Oniste campuses include:
- Colorado State University - Pueblo
- Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University
- Pikes Peak Community College
- University of Colorado - Colorado Spring
Local community campuses include:
- Colorado Christian University
- Colorado College
- Colorado State University - Pueblo
- Colorado Technical University (CTU)
- IntelliTec College
- Pikes Peak Community College
- Pueblo Community College
- University of Colorado - Colorado Springs
- Health Care
Fort Carson MEDDAC is the Army Medicine command that operates Evans Army Community Hospital (EACH) and manages its 2,300 military and civilian personnel. Newly arrived Soldiers and Family Members will be assigned a provider and clinic. Questions and concerns can be referred to the patient advocates. Remember, if you have a Qualifying Life Event (QLE) in TRICARE, such as marriage or birth of a child, it opens a 90-day period for you to make eligible enrollment changes.
- Fitness, Recreation & Leisure
Fort Carson Trails: Come out and experience our trails throughout the installation.
Campgrounds and Facilities (Joint Services)
If you and your family are looking for adventure in the great outdoors of Colorado, then the Morale, Welfare and Recreation joint services campgrounds and facilities are available.
- Located in Aurora
- Tel: +1(720)847-6853
- Accomodations: 38 RV spaces with tent areas
- Amenities: Laundry, Showers, Picinic Area, Golf, Gas, Commissary, Exchange, Fitness Center, Shoppete, Snack Bar, Class VI, Car Wash, Dump / Sewer, Water, Electric
Farish Recreation Area (USAFA)
- Located in Woodland Park
- Tel: +1(719)687-9098
- Accommodations: 15 tent sites (primitive), four log camper cabins, six duplex units, lodge with four rooms
- Amenities: Hiking, mountain biking, fishing, cross-country skiing, sledding, ice skating, ice fishing, snowshoeing
- Located in Colorado Springs, Colo.
- Tel: +1(719)333-4980
- Accommodations: 105 gravel sites, eight tent sites
- Amenities: Playground, picnic area, hiking, commissary, exchange, package store
Hunter Education Course - Information on local courses and events. Search Fort Carson Conservation Law Enforcement Program.
- Things to Consider Before & When You Arrive
Banana Belt: If you hear someone refer to this term, it is the area around Barkeley Avenue and McGrath Avenue. If you look at the streets on a map, they form a banana.
Cheyenne Mountain Zoo: Welcome to the highest zoo in America. It sits at an elevation of 6,800 feet above sea level and has more than half a million visitors every year.
Community: Did you know, our local community has the 2nd largest DoD retiree population in the nation. We want you to know, you are coming to community who is ready to welcome you and help to make this your new home.
DEERS & ID Card: Walk in basis only.
Drink Water: Colorado Springs elevation is 6,035 feet. Acclimation to our area varies for every individual. If you are not a fan of drinking water, it is highly recommended you become one. The air is drier and your body will dehydrate much more quickly.
Family Readiness Group (FRG): Get up-to-date FRG contact information.
- Food Handlers Training - Nutrition Care Division, Evans Army Community Hospital, Bldg 7500, Room 1945. For details, call +1(719)524-0730.
Firearms on Fort Carson: All weapons brought on post must be registered with FC Form 66-E. It takes 2 to 3 weeks and can be started before you arrive.
Golfers: Great news, because of our altitude, a golf ball flies on an average 10% farther in Colorado than other states. Tee-up at the Cheyenne Shadows Gold Course.
Home Based Businesses (HBBs): If you have an in home business, you will require approval from the Garrison Commander or senior commander. Click here for details on the process and to fill out an application.
Per Diem Rates: Up-to-date details for Fort Carson.
Pets: Boarding kennels are unavailable on Fort Carson. For help, contact the Fort Carson Veterinary Center, +1(719)526-3803. The Better Business Burea is a great resource in locating a kennel. If you live on Fort Carson and your pet gets loose, you can contact Tumbleweed Country Kennels, 12599 Jordan Road, Fountain, CO 80817. Photos are taken of collected animals on Fort Carson and posted online. Owners have 5 days to recover their pet before it is abandoned and placed for adoption. For details, call +1(719)382-1126.
Hunting: The post Conservation Law Enforcement Program offers a Colorado Hunters’ Education Course.
Incline: It's just 2,744 steps up the Manitou Incline. Gaining 2000 feet in elevation from start to finish, it's a bit under 1 mile in length. Take the challenge when it reopens.
Leisure, Tour and Travel: Get help with upcoming family vacations, getaway cruises, or tickets to local/state/national/international attractions. They'll help you put together a perfect trip. For details, call +1(719)526-5366.
Lost and Found: If you lose a valuable, the Fort Carson Police/Provost Marshal Division is available. To check if your item may have been found, call +1(719)526-0616.
Military & Family Life Counselors (MFLC): Available to Service Members and their Families to provide non-medical short term, situational problem-solving counseling. Services can be provided on or off the installation and can be for individuals, couples, families and groups.
- North American Aerospace Command Defense (NORAD) - Colorado Springs
- Peterson Air Force Base - Colorado Springs
- Schriever Air Force Base - Colorado Springs
- United States Air Force Base - Colorado Springs
- Buckley Air Force Base - Denver
Mountains are to the West: If you get lost in Colorado Springs, remember that, it's a helpful trick to finding your way around.
- Chapel Hills Mall (Local)
- Citadel Mall (Local)
- First & Main Town Center (Local)
- Outlets at Castle Rock (About 31 miles North from Fort Carson)
- Promenade Shops at Briargate (Local)
- University Village Colorado (Local)
Ski Resorts: USA Today named Winter Park as the number one spot. Copper Mountain took fifth place and Telluride tenth place. So whether you are an avid skier or new to bunny slopes, stop by the Outdoor Recreation Complex to get information.
Sponsorship: Whether your a Soldier or Family Member, a sponsor can help with getting to know the local area. For details, call +1(719)526-0457.
Staff Duty Numbers: 24/7 Unit Staff Duty phone numbers.
Training Programs: Take advantage of the many opportunities.
- Accredited Financial Counselor (AFC) Certification: Military spouses can apply up until 1 June 2020 for the fellowship.
- Red Cross Dental: For details, call +1(719)526-7144.
Weather Conditions: Download the CDOT mobile app. You'll find that many of the major roadways have live feed video cameras. Depending on when you are traveling, Colorado Road Conditions can vary drastically. Check the roads before you travel.
Welcome Packet: Request a packet. Include your name, address, contact number, arrival date, and any other information you may be needing. Hardcopy packets available by calling +1(719)526-0457; pre-coordinate pickup.
- Single Soldiers
- Fostering and Adoption
We recieve many inquiries on adoption and foster care in Colorado.
- Adoption Reimbursement for Retirees
- Adopt US Kids - Military Resources
- Colorado Heart Gallery - Meet Colorados Kids
- El Paso County DHS Adoption
- Military Adoption Benefits for Active Duty
- Military OneSource Adoption Essentials for Active Duty
- The Adoption Exchange
Local Agencies to assist with the process
- A New World
- Bethany Christian Services
- Catholic Charoties of Colorado Springs
- Courage Community Foster Care
- Dungarvin Colorado
- Family Resource Network
- Foster Courage
- Griffith Centers for Children Chins Up
- Hope & Home
- Kids Crossing
- Lutheran Family Services Rocky Mountain
- Maple Star
- Rocky Mountain Kids
- Special Kids, Special Families
- Regulations and Policies
Command Policies - IMCOM
Garrison Commander Policies
- 4th Infantry Division
1. Ascend Pikes Peak – Climb, Bike, Drive, Run
2. “Get on the Bus”– Climb, Bike, Drive, Run
3. Cheyenne Mountain Zoo – Boo at the Zoo
4. Broadmoor Holiday Lights
5. Visit the 4ID Museum & Memorial Park
6. Garden of the Gods – Take an Epic Photo
7. Ski - Keystone, Monarch, Winter Park…
8. Check out the Army Wellness Center
9. Tour the U.S. Olympic Training Center
10. Pikes Peak or Bust Rodeo
11. Visit the U.S. Air Force Academy
12. Climb the Incline
13. Check out the Labor Day Lift Off
- 3rd Brigade SFRL
1. Garden of the Gods – Take an Epic Photo
2. Renaissance Festival – Summer 2020
3. Rock House Ice Cream – Palmer Park
4. Old Colorado City
5. Cheyenne Mountain Zoo
6. John Venezia Community Park
7. La Casa Fiesta – Monument
8. Fox Run Regional Park
9. Mount Herman
10. Colorado College Hockey
11. Focus on the Family
12. Springs Adventure Park
13. Croquette’s Bistro & Bakery – Gluten Free
- Sponsorship Toolkit
- How We Can Help
- Everyday English Course
- Immigration and Naturalization Referrals
- Meet-Up Groups for German and Latino
- Multicultural assessment appointments
- Naturalization ceremonies
- English as a Second Language (ESL) Referrals
- Translation Referrals
Newcomers to Fort Carson
- Details listed above on this page.
- Bulk Order of Welcome Packets: If ordering more than 10, allow 2 business days.
- Loan Closet is not available at Fort Carson. To find other resources, open the 211 website and type in the Search services and programs box thrift shops. Fort Carson resources include:
- Mountain Post Living Welcome for Spouses and Families
- Clearing for ACS, AER, & EFMP
- Destination Overseas
- Loan Closet is not available at Fort Carson. To find a list of area thrift stores, type thrift shops in the Enter Keyword search box for the 211 website. Specific resources on Fort Carson indude:
- Office on the Go Services
- PCS 101
- Relocation Counseling for Chaptering, ETSing and Retiring
- Relocation Packets for other locations
- Sponsorship Information and Training
- Waiting Families Program
Welcome to Fort Carson, Colorado, the Best Hometown in the Army! Known as the Mountain Post, we are one of the top requested stateside locations.
Located on the Southside of Colorado Springs, Fort Carson is a new adventure, a great place to call home, and location where community makes all the difference. And not to mention, Colorado Springs was ranked # 1 Best Big City in "Best Places to Live" by Money magazine, #1 Outside Magazine's list of America's Best Cities and #2 on U.S. News list of most desirable cities.
Whether it’s your 1st move or last of many, the Army Community Service (ACS) Relocation Readiness Program is here to help. For newly arrived Spouses, we encourage you to participate in our monthly welcome on Friday, 19 February or Friday, 19 March.
Order a Welcome Packet
Digital Welcome Packet
Bucket List for Newcomers "Bakers Dozen"
These are personal suggestions from volunteers. No federal endorsement is intended.